I am thankful that so many residents in Alta Vista are connecting with me to find out how they can best help other people. We will all be strengthened by this display of solidarity.
John Fraser, MPP, David McGuinty MP and I are in regular contact to coordinate and collaborate to ensure we answer the needs of Alta Vista during the uncertain times of COVID-19. We are working with community partners such as Ottawa Community Housing, South East Ottawa Community Health Centre, United Way, faith communities and non-profit organizations – all doing essential work to seek out residents who are vulnerable, might be feeling isolated & have not reached out to us.
If you are looking to support your community during this critical time, you can help by checking in with neighbours and friends who may be vulnerable, overwhelmed, lonely or in need of help. Please be mindful of social distancing recommendations at www.ottawapublichealth.ca to help lower your risk.
Always follow the advice of Ottawa Public Health to decrease transmission:
- Practice physical (social) distancing – Avoid all non-essential trips in the community.
- Household contacts (people you live with) do not need to distance from each other unless they are sick or have travelled within the past 14 days.
- Cancel ALL group gatherings.
- Connect via phone, video chat, or social media instead of in person.
- Talk to your employer about working from home (if possible).
- Avoid visiting elderly friends or relatives unless the visit is essential.
- You can go outside (for example – to take a walk). While outside, avoid crowds and maintain a distance of two metres (six feet) from those around you.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water
In all this uncertainty, for yourself, for your family and for your community, please ensure you are feeling ok. It is important that you take care of yourself FIRST so that you can take care of others.
If you are feeling well, continue reaching out to neighbours and loved ones especially those who might need a little extra care, whether they are older adults or those with small children. It doesn’t take much to run an errand, walk a dog, or write a letter.
Sometimes the smallest act of kindness is the most powerful.
Office availability while working remotely
Given that my team and I are working remotely, we ask for your patience as we try to keep up with “business as usual.” On any issue, whether COVID-19 related or other issue, please don’t hesitate to leave us a voicemail by calling 613-580-2488 or emailing JeanCloutierOtt@Ottawa.ca.
We are here and ready to assist Alta Vista residents on any issue of concern.