With continuing heavy rainfall in the forecast, the City advises residents to take necessary precautions for any potential flooding in low lying areas that are adjacent to the rivers.
Residents in these areas can reduce flood damage by taking these preventative steps:
- Move valuables and important documents out of the basement
- Ensure sump pumps and foundation drains are connected and functioning properly
- Ensure downspouts or water run-off is flowing to water drainage systems.
More information on preventing flooding and basement flooding is available on the City of Ottawa website.
The City is working closely with the Rideau Valley, South Nation and Mississippi Valley Conservation Authorities to monitor the situation.
Residents are reminded to the following safety tips:
- Avoid and keep children and pets away from open water, ditches, ravines, culverts and escarpments
- Keep children away from wading pools in parks near the Rideau River. (The higher water levels can result in backups in outdoor wading pools – resulting in the collection of water which cannot be drained.)
Also, check local weather forecasts and news for up-to-date broadcasts.